Monday Musings: If You Could Have Dinner With Anyone

If You Could Have Dinner With Anyone In The World... Who Would It Be?

I love questions like this. I love to think about the what-ifs in life, the hypotheticals… like who I’d most like to meet some day, or what I would say to them. It’s an invitation to think about something that might never happen, and live it, almost, in the safety of your own mind.

This one in particular — who would I have at my dinner table — is one that I especially like to think about, because it inevitably leads to another question: what would I cook for them? It’s a fun rabbit hole to go down, and one I am all too happy to get lost in. Although I’m sure if I ever did have any of my idols over for dinner, I would be too nervous to do so much as boil an egg right. Could I muster the courage to cook for Julia Child, or Alton Brown? I’m not so sure. (Perhaps if I practice in my head more, first!)

Recently, I stumbled across this video, which asks exactly this question: if you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? At first I didn’t know where it was going, but then the message takes a turn I didn’t expect. It’s a wonderfully humbling little video, and really brightened my day, so I wanted to share:

Kids have so much to teach us, don’t they?

Sitting down to enjoy a meal with the people you’re already close to is, I think, one of the greatest pleasures life has to offer us. As Julia Child put it, “Dining with one’s friends and beloved family is certainly one of life’s primal and most innocent delights, one that is both soul-satisfying and eternal.”

I couldn’t agree more.

Of course, I still like to hypothesize about celebrities, and the people I look up to throughout history… so just for fun, I’d love to know:

If you could have dinner with anyone in the world, living or dead, besides your family and friends… who would it be, and why?

The first names that come to my mind are chefs that I admire and look up to, like Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Michael Symon, Alton Brown, Christopher Kimbel, and so many others… the people who inspired me from a young age to pursue my love of food, and taught me to feed those people who matter most to me — my friends and beloved family. Who would you pick? Let me know in the comments below!

I hope this Monday is treating you well, friends.

xoxo

, , , , , , ,

Still hungry? Try these:

12 Responses to Monday Musings: If You Could Have Dinner With Anyone

1. Lauren @ Lauren Caris Cooks March 21, 2016 at 10:51 am #

Awww I got a bit misty watching this!! Kids really do put things in perspective. I’m going to share this with my readers too! Would be interested to know what they would say!

• Willow Arlen March 21, 2016 at 12:37 pm #

I know, right? They are wise beyond their years. Definitely, feel free to share it! :)

2. Christine | Vermilion Roots March 21, 2016 at 11:46 am #

The message in the video is so powerful. And the answer to your question is Haruki Murakami. :-)

3. Ellen March 21, 2016 at 6:01 pm #

In keeping with the vid…… My 3 grandchildren. I would love to cook a yummy healthy meal that they all want seconds and enjoy every bite! dream on!!

• Willow Arlen March 21, 2016 at 6:14 pm #

Hahaha, I love this, Ellen! You’re a great cook, I bet once they’re old enough to appreciate it, it will happen. :)

4. Kathryn @ Family Food on the Table March 23, 2016 at 6:49 am #

Aww, that’s the sweetest video! My first instinct was to say some great woman leader, current or past, but immediately after watching the video, I thought, my grandmother (who passed away). I’d love to talk with her again, now that I’m (more of) an adult – I feel like I missed the opportunity to learn so much from her.

5. shannon @ a periodic table March 31, 2016 at 7:34 am #

I can’t answer questions like this, simply because i EXCEL at overthinking. First off, picking one person to have dinner with? Can’t. Because would it be a famous cheffy person? or a long-admired musician? I think actually as i’m sitting here, it would be Yo Yo Ma, because i play the cello and hearing HIM play the cello fills me with unspeakable joy. Also, he seems like a really nice person.
    About cooking dinner: not doing that either, because i’d be far too nervous to actually cook food for someone I admired that much. So it would have to be dinner out somewhere, but then where to go?

see what I mean?

• Willow Arlen March 31, 2016 at 1:11 pm #

I hear you, Shannon! I am a major over-thinker, too, and the answer that I would pick a chef is just the best I can give without going too deep. Sharing a meal and talking with someone like Yo Yo Ma would be equally amazing!

6. Gail rockford August 5, 2016 at 8:56 am #

I would love to have dinner with you! You are such a marvelous, witty, wise, and good person. I surmise that from just reading your blog.

• Willow Arlen August 5, 2016 at 11:11 am #

Gail, this is the kindest comment I’ve ever received! Thank you so much, you just made my day. And for the record, I would love to have dinner with you, too! You would be welcome to come over any time. ;)