Honey’d Fig & Goat Cheese Ice Cream

IMG_8228 2 text b
(Honey’d Fig and Goat Cheese Ice Cream – recipe in post)

Honey and I, we go way back. One of my favorite treats as a child was a warm mug of milk and honey, usually enjoyed just before bed time. Who am I kidding, it’s still one of my favorite things! For a sip of nostalgia, I need look no further than a glass of milk and honey. Those very same flavors shine bright and clear in this dessert – sweet honey combined with melt-in-your-mouth ice cream… on a hot day, it doesn’t get much better than this.

IMG_8252 2 b

If you’re skeptical about goat cheese, fear not. The flavors here are incredibly light. I love the mild tanginess that goat cheese can lend to a dessert, but often times I find it overpowering – I was careful to keep it mild, just enough to add a dimension to the taste of this ice cream. If you aren’t used to using goat cheese, or even if you aren’t a fan, I strongly recommend trying this. It’s subtle, and it’s sublime.

IMG_7765 2 b

In combination with figs, goat cheese finds its niche. This was my first recipe in using my honey’d fig preserves, and the combination of flavors is a delight – better than I even expected. If you don’t want to make your own preserves, store-bought fig jam would work well in its place.

Honey’d Fig & Goat Cheese Ice Cream

2 cups (500ml) heavy cream
1 cup (250ml) whole milk
1/2 cup (170g) honey, plus more for drizzling
3 oz. soft goat cheese*
1/2 cup honey’d fig preserves (click for recipe, or use store-bought fig jam)

*The flavor from the cheese is very mild – perfect for my taste – if you prefer it a little stronger, feel free to add another 1 oz.

Method
In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine the cream, milk, and honey. Heat until steaming, but not boiling, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat, and add the goat cheese, stirring and pressing any lumps against the side of the pan until well incorporated. Chill in the fridge for a few hours until completely cold, or overnight.
Churn in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. In the last 30 seconds of churning, add the fig preserves. Alternatively, stir the preserves into the finished ice cream by hand for a more swirled consistency.
Transfer to a chill safe container and store in the freezer until firm.
Serve as is, or with a drizzle of honey.

IMG_8217 2 b

Perfect on its own, or try it in combination with my Orange & Cardamom Spiced Honey’d Fig Olive Oil Tea Cake (click for recipe).

28 thoughts on “Honey’d Fig & Goat Cheese Ice Cream

1. Anonymous

I made this in my kitchen Aid metal mixing bowl mixing,placing and removing from freezer every few hours. Came out wonderful!

1. Grub Snapper

Hi Willow,

This ice cream recipe looks so delicious! Your food blog and photography is really impressive! If you’re interested, we would like to send you an invitation to join our new invite-only food community that we have just launched.

You can request an invite at http://grubsnapper.com/request-invite and we’ll email you a link to join.

Grub Snapper is a community to share and discover extremely delicious recipes and food. You can vote and comment on other members’ recipes and follow their activity. We also hope our community will help you promote your food blog to other foodies like us.

We hope to see you soon :)

Cheers,
    Patrick
    CEO & Founder of Grub Snapper

2. Pennie

Wow–this is so up my alley!! What a creative and wonderful recipe and your pics are beautiful–will def have to haul out the ice cream machine for this one!

3. shannon @ a periodic table

willow, i am in love – serious love – with this ice cream. I’m obsessed with figs right now, and when i eat them, i eat them drizzled in a bit of honey. Also, i love goat cheese, so this is perfect for me right now. I am totally making this.

4. Kat

I love goat cheese combined with sweet things. I think this ice cream with honeyed fig preserves would make a fantastic combination of flavors. You should be a recipe developer for a gourmet ice cream company!

1. Willow

That would pretty much be my dream job. Assuming I could eat a lot of ice cream, of course. “No, I’m not sure this flavor is ready yet… I need to ‘test’ it more ;)

5. shannon @ a periodic table

willow, here’s what: i have this ice cream mixture chilling in my fridge right now, and i’ll be putting it in my ice cream maker shortly. i’m extremely excited about this. my one issue today when i went to the store? NO FIGS! like, none…and i just finished a box last night. So i used the recipe for your fig preserves, only replaced the figs with a combination of fresh apricots and sugar plums…i thought those would work well with the honey and goat cheese ice cream. cross your fingers, and i’ll let you know how it goes!
    ps: i know how the preserves went…delish!

6. Cindi O

I literally just made homemade Goat Cheese last night and have been making the same old vanilla bean ice cream. I was just about to cook up a batch, so I can throw it in the ice cream maker tomorrow when I stumbled upon this. Now I have a batch in the fridge, ready to roll tomorrow, I will let you know how it turns out, looks lovely!

7. Moe

I was really excited to try this recipe but my mixture totally curdled shortly after I started incorporating the goat cheese. Any tips? I’d like to make this recipe for Thanksgiving this year, glad I still have a day or so to experiment.

My gut is to lower the temperature of the milk before incorporating the cheese. Thoughts?

1. Willow

This surprises me – I haven’t heard of goat cheese curdling a milk mixture before. When I added my goat cheese the cheese itself was lumpy at first, but I worked those out easily with the back of a spoon.

Looking at other goat cheese ice cream recipes, some of them call for putting the goat cheese in a separate bowl, then pouring the warm milk over the cheese slowly, while mixing.

I wish I knew more – hope that helps!